Summertime is the best time of the year for some of our kids. School is out of session, and it’s finally time for summer camp!! Summer camp with Restavèk Freedom is full of laughter, games, creativity, educational enrichment, and plenty of fun!! This summer we held the program for four weeks. We were expecting 25 kids, but were thrilled when our enrollment doubled. We had a wonderful team of leaders who worked very hard to make the program a huge success. The kids came three times a week to:
- improve their French and Math skills
- learn about their bodies through our sex education lessons from Nadine and Samuel,
- learn how to make bracelets with thread from Nathacha;
- learn about health, the environment, and how to let go of stress with Samuel, Djougine, and Nadine;
- sing songs with another of our child advocates, Osbert
- and lastly, to enjoy the various outdoor activities with the help of numerous RFF staff.
This summer camp was designed to create a stress-free environment. We focused on helping the kids unwind while giving them the space to release negative emotions which create mental and physical problems in their lives.
We wanted to make each child feel special when he or she walked into the school each day. Our goals were met, and the kids enjoyed themselves so much that they didn’t want to leave when camp ended. The kids were always ready to play, scream, jump, and sing. We believe that a strong sense of self-worth can make a huge impact in how our kids behave and how they react to the challenges of life. We’re looking forward to having another unforgettable summer camp experience next year.
Djougine, Child Advocate